Cycling into the New Year

As you may know, my wife and I are taking part in a charity cycle ride around Cuba this February. To prepare for this, we've been training (she more than me) by taking longer journeys to work and going for rides out in the country. Last month, for instance, I cycled to Rugby (a nice, long, slog) to pick up our wedding photos. The photographer opined that I was a bit loopy, but I reckon I've got a good excuse!

Over the last few days, we've been building up our stamina again after Christmas. On Sunday we did 20 miles, yesterday we cycled 30 miles and today (New Years Day) we've done 40 miles!

Here is a map of today's journey:



It was a pleasant ride. There was very little traffic about (it is, after all, New Years Day! What sort of madman would go for a cycle ride before 10 in the morning?) and it wasn't too hot or too cold. There was a bit of mist, but that just made the scenery look even nicer.

In Cuba, we'll be cycling for 5 days, and doing up to 50 miles each day, with a break for lunch. For the next few weekends, until we leave, we'll try and do at least 40 miles on both Saturday and Sunday.

I can't wait! On the other hand, it's only six weeks away!!

Comments

Popular Posts